As an interior designer, I’ve studied art history, design, color theory, and application – but a lot of people don’t realize that I’m also certified in Feng Shui and a big passion of mine is to create a healing space for my clients.
What exactly is feng shui? It’s an age-old practice based around the notion that our homes are a direct reflection of what’s going on inside of us. So, the purpose of feng shui is to align our home environment with who we are and where we want to be in life. The goal is to have your home’s energy in perfect harmony with your own energy.
Each room has a specific purpose in the house and there are certain ways to arrange the furniture and accessorize in order to see the greatest benefits of feng shui.
FOR THE LIVING ROOM
The living room feng shui is related to peace and happiness of the whole family, so this is an important area to focus on!
- Have enough light sources that each area of the living room can be well lit when in use.
- Have fresh plants! They cleanse the air and inspire growth.
- Place the couch or armchairs in a position that allows you to see the entrance of the living room.
- Leave dried flowers around.
- Place a mirror behind the sofa.
- Allow room or shelves in the room to become cluttered.
KITCHEN & DINING
The main social gathering space for most homes! These tips are so important to keep an energetic, welcoming energy in a space that undoubtedly gets so much traffic.
- Keep the countertops cleared.
- All food and kitchen appliances not used on a daily basis should be kept out of sight.
- Keep the dining room as near as possible to kitchen.
- Keep the number of chairs at dining table even.
- Overload kitchen with accessories and gadgets.
- Place the dining table touching a wall.
- Use or even keep broken or chipped utensils and/or glassware.
Our bedroom space is critical (as is a good night’s sleep)! These tips will help improve your sleep, your relationships, and your overall sense of peace.
- Keep underneath your bed clutter-free.
- Use relaxing colors. Earth tones, such as blue, green and brown, are best for the bedroom.
- Arrange your bed so that you can see the entrance to your room while you are laying down.
- Keep electronics in your bedroom. The electronic static in the air can interfere with your sleep, your love life, and your feeling of overall wellbeing.
- Hang a mirror directly in front of your bed.
- Push one side of your bed tight up against a wall.
FOR THE OFFICE
- Clear ALL clutter! A clean, simple space will bring in vital energy that will help you with mental clarity, focus, and inspiration.
- Arrange your desk so that you can see the door when seated. Ideally, you should be able to see as much of the room as possible.
- Keep the cords to your office equipment well hidden.
- Work with the TV on.
- Hang any mirrors in your office.
- Buy or use any furniture previously owned by someone who has gone out of business or gone bankrupt.
Feel free to reach out for more tips on feng shui in the home or office or to schedule your design consultation to see how we can transform your own space!
Leave a Reply